UPDATE: made this again today and used finely chopped macadamia nuts in place of the bread crumbs! It was truly amazing. We are going to do that from now on!
Double S Veggie Casserole
Seriously, super easy squash and spinach casserole. Use an almond or macadamia nut flour bread, as well as grass-fed butter and cheese, to make this Keto compliant, if you wish.
- 2 medium-large yellow squash washed, and cut into thin slices
- 16 oz bag frozen chopped spinach thawed, and squeezed to drain
- 1 medium-large onion cut into slices
- 16 ounces butter unsalted, cut into pat sized portions (see picture)
- 12 ounce bag Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 4 slices of bread broken down into bread crumbs a bullet blender works great for this, tear bread into pieces then pulse a few times
- 1-2 tsp Oregano
- 1-2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/2-1 tsp Black Pepper
- After prepping onions, spinach, and butter. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Gather seasonings. We do not measure but shake each one on when it is time.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with parchment paper (makes for super easy clean up but is optional)
- Place about 6 pats of butter on bottom layer, before squash slices. Spread apart from one another.
- Add a single layer of squash slices.
- Sprinkle naked squash slices with each seasoning, we did a pretty even light sprinkle of each seasoning.
- Add sliced onions as a single layer.
- Add half of the squeezed, drained spinach.
- Add half of the shredded cheese.
- Add half of the bread crumbs.
- Add 6-8 pats of butter.
- Repeat layers starting with naked, squash slices.
- Top final layer with another sprinkle of each of the seasonings.
- Bake in a 375 degree F preheated oven for about 45-60 minutes. Check at about 40 minutes and keep an eye on it until it is nice and golden brown on top. Exact time will depend on your oven.
You can wash and slice squash, cut onions into slices, and squeeze, drain spinach ahead of time. This makes throwing the casserole together so much quicker. I usually prep everything the day before.