This is a 1930s recipe from a Westinghouse oven manual. There are ways to manipulate this recipe to make it healthier. See the notes section for suggestions.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sweet milk
- 2 Tbsp melted shortening
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Cup chopped nuts
- 3 1/2 Cups flour (sifted before measuring)
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Beat eggs and sugar until light,
- combine milk and melted shortening,
- add salt and nuts, then mix well.
- Fold in the flour which has been sifted with baking powder.
- Pour into greased loaf pan and let stand 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to a temperature of 375 degrees F.
- Baking time, 40 to 60 minutes (use toothpick or knife to test).
Want to make a healthier version of this nut bread? Try the following suggestions and let us know how it turns out!
Increase eggs to 4 eggs. Replace 1 cup sugar with 3/4 cup coconut sugar and 1/4 cup honey Replace sweet milk with full fat coconut milk Replace melted shortening with 2 Tbsp coconut oil or palm shortening Replace 1/2 tsp salt with Himalayan pink sea salt Replace 3 1/2 cups flour with 4 cups blanched almond flour or 3 1/2 cups of cup for cup gluten free flour blend of your choice